Who doesn’t LOVE chocolate? OK, maybe someone doesn’t, but most people I know enjoy a little, now and then! It’s one of my favorite sweet treats, to be sure. When I decided I wanted to write about chocolate, I did a little research. There is a LONG and (somewhat disturbing) history to the stuff, but what I found most interesting is that chocolate was first ONLY a drink. AND, it wasn’t sweet. Only when the Europeans got their hands on it, was sugar added.
Here are the things I find fascinating (according to the above article) about chocolate.
- Researchers have discovered evidence that’s it’s been used since 1400 B.C.E.
- It has been rumored to have magical powers
- Supposedly Cassanova loved it (presumably an aphrodisiac)
- It was so valuable that it was used as currency in pre-modern Latin America
- It wasn’t fashioned into bars until 1847
Again, every time I start reading about something I “think” I know a little bit about, I discover that I actually know nothing. Life is a grand adventure, isn’t it?